You are here
How to authorize ArcGIS for Desktop license on disconnected computers
For computers which can't be connected to the Internet at all, authorizing ArcGIS for Desktop license involves the following steps:
Have access to both the disconnected computer (PC1) which you need to run ArcGIS for Desktop on, and another computer which is connected to the Internet (PC2). Also prepare a USB drive to move files between the two.
- Browse to http://gis.harvard.edu/tools/software/esri-arcgis-desktop
- Download the desirable version of ArcGIS for Desktop installation file, save it on the USB drive
- Obtain a valid single use license code
- Browse to the installation instructions page for reference
- Install ArcGIS for Desktop from the USB drive following instructions
- Launch ArcGIS Administrator
- Select the Desktop folder on the left hand side of the screen.
- On the right hand side select the licensing level assingle use.
- Click authorize now.
- Select the first option 'I have installed the software and now need to authorize the license'. Click next.
- Select the second option 'Authorize at esri's website or by email to receive your authorization file'. Click next.
- Fill in the authorization information.
- Enter the authorization code. Hit next.
- Enter the authorization code for extensions if any. Hit next.
- Click the save button and save the file as 'authorize.txt' on the USB drive
- Browse to https://my.esri.com/#/activations/secure-site
- Upload the 'authorize.txt' file
- The page will refresh and give a download button
- Download it. The file will be named 'xxx.respc'
- Alternatively, you may email the 'authorize.txt' file to email@example.com
- They will email you back the 'xxx.respc' file
- Save the 'xxx.respc' file on the USB drive
- Double click this '.respc' file
- It will take you to the authorization page. Hit next.
- It will give you a 'successful authorization' message.