NSF REU Fellow Opportunity
7 weeks from June 2020 to August 2020
The NSF Spatiotemporal Innovation Center (STC) is looking for several undergraduate research assistants to serve as NSF REU Fellows from June to August 2020. They will potentially work at the George Mason University site (Fairfax, VA) or the Harvard University site (Cambridge, MA), depending on funding availability from NSF.
This opportunity is supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) I/UCRC and Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Programs, which enable undergraduate students to obtain research experience and consider a career path in spatiotemporal domains (e.g., CS, GIS, Geosciences, etc.). NSF REU fellows will work in a team with graduate students, postdocs, research staff and faculty at one of the center sites and will conduct research related to spatiotemporal issues. NSF REU fellows also have the opportunity to attend a professional conference to present their research results. Fellows may participate in a variety of research projects.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled undergraduate students.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident status is required.
- Applicants should be able to work as NSF REU fellows for 7 consecutive weeks. Starting date is flexible.
- NSF REU fellows will receive stipend and reimbursement for travel to one conference hosted in the U.S.
- We encourage applications from underrepresented groups, such as women, Native-Americans, African-Americans, Hispanics, Veterans, and students with disabilities.
A complete application includes:
- Statement of interest (150 - 300 words).
- Contacts (email and phone #) of two referees.
There will be three steps for selecting the students: 1) Site directors will collaboratively select a pool of promising applicants. 2) Faculty members will select the relevant applicants who match their interest from the pool. 3) A videoconference interview will be arranged with the selected candidates to evaluate the applicant’s background and skills in communication, teamwork, and research interest.
Interested students please email your application to Qian Liu (email@example.com). The review of applications will start in February 2020, and end until the positions are filled. Please contact Dr. Chaowei Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Wendy Guan (email@example.com) with questions about the NSF REU Summer Fellows in Geographic Information Science program at George Mason University or Harvard University respectively. We look forward to receiving your applications.
George Mason University and Harvard University are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration as NSF REU follows without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.